Contact Form 7 is the most popular and oldest contact form plugin for WordPress. Setting up this plugin is a very easy process. But many people struggle with how to setup Contact Form 7. If you are one of them, then this article helps you to setup this wonderful Contact Form 7 plugin.
Let’s setup the Contact Form 7 plugin…
Why you need a Contact Form?
Have you ever wondered exactly why you need a Contact Form on your website?
Contact Form is the best and easiest way for your visitors or customers to reach you.
Importance of having a contact form on your website:
- Contact form helps to reduce the spam and keep your website secure.
- You can easily generate leads with contact forms.
- Contact form gives your site visitors an easy way to send you emails right from your website.
- You can collect some extra information from your visitors, such as phone numbers, the exact purpose of sending an email and etc. and many more…
Best Features Of Contact Form 7
Undoubtedly, Its best features make WordPress users use it on their sites. So let’s take a look at some of its best features:
- You can create and manage multiple contact forms.
- Easy to setup and customize form fields.
- You can alter mail content with its simple markups.
- Insert forms into any pages or posts using Shortcode.
- Contact Form 7 supports Akismet spam filtering, Ajax-powered submitting, and CAPTCHA.
- You can extend its features with third-party extensions or addon plugins.
- Most importantly, it is free!
These powerful features make this plugin so popular. Now take a look at how to setup Contact Form 7 on your WordPress website.
How To Install Contact Form 7
To setup the Contact Form 7, First, you need to install it on your WordPress website. To do so, Go to your WordPress dashboard, Select Plugins >> Add New from the sidebar menu.
Now type Contact Form 7 in the search field, Once the plugin displayed in search results Click on Install and Activate it.
Once it is activated, you can access the Contact Form 7 functions in the new Contact area of your WordPress dashboard.
How To Setup Contact Form 7
Now its time to setup the Contact Form 7 on your WordPress site. To do this, Click on Contact >> Contact Forms. Now you are in the central administration panel where you can manage multiple contact forms.
Here you can see Contact Form 7’s default contact form (Contact Form 1).
Contact Form 1 is a simple and basic contact form that contains Name, Email, Subject, and Message fields. This form is ready to use and can be inserted into any pages/posts of your site with Shortcode (we will see it in later part of this article).
Creating a new Contact Form from scratch
If you don’t like the default contact form and want to create a new form according to your preferences or needs, then you can create a new contact form from scratch.
To create a new custom contact form, click on Contact >> Add New. Now give a name for your contact form.
By default, Contact Form 7 adds some fields on new contact forms such as Name, Email, Subject, Message, and Submit fields. However, you can add some more fields to the default form as per your requirements. Or you can add all fields freshly by clearing the default fields.
Here I will explain all Form Fields available on Contact Form 7. That’s how you will know which field is used for which one.
- Text – Text field is mainly used as a Name field or Subject Field. Mainly for short and single-line text.
- Email – You can get the visitor’s email id from this field.
- URL – In case you want to know your visitor’s website URL then this field helps you to get URL.
- Tel – With this field, you can accept the telephone number from your visitor/customer.
- Number – Number field helps you to accept numeric values.
- Date – This field is used to accept dates.
- Text area – It is used to get more information from your visitor like messages, queries, etc.
- Drop-down menu, Checkboxes & Radio buttons – Drop-down menu, Checkboxes & Radio buttons help visitors to choose the particular option from the group of options while contacting you (For example – Country name).
- Acceptance – It is a simple checkbox dedicated to confirming the submitter’s consent for a specific condition.
- Quiz – This field helps you to ask some questions to your visitor before submitting the form. Also, it helps to block computer programs to submit the forms.
- File – With this field, you can allow your visitors or customers to upload their files via your form.
- Submit – It is an essential component to submit the form.
These are short and sweet information about each form fields. In case you want to know more details you can get it here.
Here I will show how to add or insert a field to your contact form.
For example, I will choose File tag. Just select the File tag and add the required details and hit the Insert button.
After clicking the Insert button, you can see the tag in the form area.
Here is the preview of the File tag.
This is how you can add all the required fields you want in your contact form.
Once you add the required fields to your custom form click on the Save button. Now we will setup the Mail template.
In this Mail Panel, you are free to design or customize the Mail template. Here you can edit the mail templates, message headers, and message body, etc.
Don’t worry, I will explain to you how you can setup a mail template.
Mail (2) – AutoResponder.
If you want to send AutoResponse(Confirmation email) then setup this Mail. Otherwise, Ignore this part.
One thing I want to clear you that here in this Mail template I used Business Email I have created. You are free to use any emails to send or receive emails from contact forms. If you want to know how to create a business email then click here.
This is how you can Setup Mail Template easily.
These are the Messages your visitor will get after their particular action.
For example – If your visitor fills the contact form fields properly and hits the Submit button, then he will see “Thank you for your message. It has been sent” message below the submit button.
You are free to edit each message as you want. If you don’t want to edit then leave them as they are(Default).
Here you can include additional settings to contact form by adding code snippets. To know more about Addition Settings click here.
Once you successfully setup the contact form click on SAVE.
Add a contact form to post or page
Till now you knew how to setup Contact Form 7, create a contact form from a scratch and how to setup custom contact form properly.
Its time to add your contact form to your website page or post. To do this, go to Contact >> Contact Forms.
Now you will see the list of contact forms that you created. Just select the contact form you want to add to your website page/post and simply copy the Shortcode of that contact form.
After copying shortcode, create a new page/post, Give it a Name and Past the Shortcode in the text area of the post editor and click on Publish.
That’s it! This is how you can add a contact form on your website page or post.
Not Receiving Emails or Getting Emails In Spam Folder?
Once you added the contact form to your website page, Test it by sending email. Fill contact form all the fields and submit it. Once you successfully submit the form, You have to receive the mail on your specified email address in Mail settings.
If you are not receiving mail check it in the spam folder, In case you find emails in the Spam folder then setup it up by WP Mail SMTP plugin.
After setting up the WP Mail SMTP plugin you can send your website emails reliably and also it resolves the WordPress email sending problems then increases the email deliverability.
How To Add reCAPTCHA?
Fortunately, Contact Form 7 comes with reCAPTCHA integration. Basically, reCAPTCHA protects you against spam and automated abuses by blocking bots.
So, don’t forget to integrate Contact Form 7 with reCAPTCHA. Follow the below steps to add reCAPTCHA to your website.
Go to Contact >> Integration tab, here you will find reCAPTCHA section. Just click on Setup Integration.
In the next tab, you will see blank fields for Site Key & Secret Key. To get both keys, click on google.com/recaptcha (top right corner).
Now you are on Google reCAPTCHA, simply click on Admin Console.
Here Fill all the fields and click on Submit.
Once you successfully submit the form, you will get both keys. Simply Copy both Site Key and Secret Key.
Go back to your WordPress dashboard, Paste both the keys in their fields. Click on Save Changes.
This is how you can stop Spam by adding reCAPTCHA to your WordPress website.
Final Words – How To Setup Contact Form 7
Undoubtedly, Contact Form 7 is the best free contact form plugin for your WordPress website. It is very simple, beginner-friendly and easy to setup. A contact form plays a vital role in your website, and you can have it on your website freely with Contact Form 7.
If you are missing any features or want to add new features then you can extend it by available third-party addon plugins.
I hope that this detailed article helps you to know how to setup Contact Form 7 plugin properly on your WordPress website.
If you are confused and need any help to setup this plugin then contact me. If you think I doing great then appreciate my work by commenting below… 🙂